Mechanical versus Patent drawings understanding the difference
Although a simple observation is not able to reveal a lot of difference between the two, the actual variations however can be quite observatory. Mechanical drawings are defined as rich and specific outlines that does show all the detailed information about the product that is needed for manufacturing. Patent drawing can be used in the patent applications without showing the exact dimensions.
What is the concept behind the mechanical drawings?
As mentioned above, the basic idea behind the mechanical drawings is to provide or convey all the information, that is necessary for manufacturing a process. This information might include the dimensions, numbers, names of parts etc. Once the manufacturing team gets the mechanical drawings, they can start the production process without giving a second thought.
Along with it, mechanical drawings do use standardized language and symbols that is a common rule for drafting engineering drawings. It makes the drawings easy, simple and more understandable involving little to no interpretation possibilities, since a common rule does ensure that understanding of the drawing is same for everyone.
Moreover, if you are wishing to delve lor info the concept of the engineering drawings, it’s imperative upon your part to firstly know about the components of the mechanical drawings. These are discussed below in detail.
- Different types of lines :- Each lines denotes something different . For instance, continuous drawings are used to indicate the boundary or a part of the component. Such as thicker lines are used to indicate the outer borders, while on the other hand thinner lines are used to reflect the inner boundaries. The purpose behind these lines is to show something that is not otherwise visible on the drawings.
- There are different types of views such as isometric and planer views that are also being bifurcated into sub views. The different types of views are front perspective, rear perspective and bottom perspective.
What are the types of Mechanical drawings?
There are two types of mechanical drawings. These are discussed in more detail below:-
- Free hand :- These drawings are being prepared on the white paper without using the instruments other than pencil and erasers.
- Instrumental drawings:- These drawings are being prepared using different kinds of software’s such as AUTOCADS.
What is the role of mechanical drawings?
- These drawings are used to fully and clearly help in understanding the engineering requirements.
- Mechanical drawings are used to create standardized conventions for layout, blueprints, nomenclature , interpretation , appearance and size etc.
- Purpose of mechanical drawings is to accurately and unambiguously capture all the geometric features of the product or the component.
- Mechanical drawings are used to convey all the required information that does allow the manufacturer to produce the item.
What is the concept behind the patent drawings?
A patent application
usually contain some drawings that will help in explaining the invention better. Such drawings that are referred to in the patent application are known as patent drawings. The objective behind the patent drawings is to illustrate the winvention, some of its embodiments or the prior art.
Patent drawing do play a vital role in drafting of the patent application as they offer a better understanding for the examiner by highlighting more on the relevant part of the invention. Therefore, it is expedient upon you to use the patent drawing in your patent application as it will help in convincing the examiner and moreover, it will expediting the whole process.
What is the additional information about the mechanical drawings?
- Helps in simplifying one of the complex details:-
For instance, if you wish to explain the work of new machines with several hidden cross sectional areas it can be one of the most daunting tasks. Because an examiner or the
ordinary observer who doesn’t have the required technical process would find it more challenging to grasp the invention with the textual explanation, that is why patent drawings come in handy and help in capturing the intricate details of the invention more straightforwardly for better Clarity.
- Improves the clarity of the invention:- The description of the new invention that does consist of the working of the complex parts might not be grasped by an ordinary observer who does lack the necessary technical knowledge.
- Assigns in patent filing:- While a utility patent is concerned with the feature and functionality ,the design patent will focus more on the aesthetic part of the product.
- It increases the strength of the claim:- For instance, in the absence of the neat and well labeled patent drawings there might be some probability that the claim for the invention might get rejected. Because the examiner might not understand the invention’s novelty with the textual explanation and it might deem to be unoriginal. Mechanical drawings that are placed at relevant places.